Sunday, December 19, 2010

Couldn't Have Said it Better

Here's a section of a post the the Amazon humor discussion boards that I include unattributed.

" I suggest you read a comedy book called, "Cancer on $5 a day (chemo not included). How Humor Got Me Through the Toughest Journey of My Life", by Robert Schimmel. Cancer on Five Dollars a Day (chemo not included): How Humor Got Me Through the Toughest Journey of My Life
This man had so many trials and tribulations it's unbelievable: a son that died of cancer, surviving Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma himself, a major heart attack, a testicular cancer scare, two very nasty divorces, Hepatitis and resulting cirrhosis of the liver...I could go on. And yet this wonderful, incredible man always had a very positive outlook on life and found a way to laugh and write great jokes about pretty dark subjects. He overcame all these obstacles in his life by laughing at them and having a positive attitude, and inspired countless others with his comedy, donating money to cancer causes and devoting countless hours of his time performing charity comedy shows for fellow cancer patients. Sadly, Robert died in September 2010 from injuries resulting from a car accident. On his Facebook status the day before he died Robert himself even laughed at the irony of surviving so much illness just to die of a car crash.

I have worked for many years with terminally ill people and mentally ill people. Laughter truly is the best medicine, believe you me. People with terminal illnesses that have a pessimistic outlook, that lose their sense of humor, basically give up and give themselves to their illness and die soon after. Can you believe I know *happy* terminally ill people, because they still manage to have a love for life, and surround themselves with loving family, positivity, and laughter? They don't always survive, but they have a hell of a lot better quality and length of life than those poor miserable saps that just give up, wither up and die.

Mental illness is no different. The people I've met that could joke and laugh about their condition were much happier and mentally healthier people, and stayed "with it" much longer. Comedy about illnesses is a good thing!! It's not oppressive, demeaning, or humiliating. It is in fact quite the opposite! It can be inspiring, uplifting and motivating. You seem to view comedy about mental illness as the bully in the schoolyard picking on the mentally retarded kid. I think you have quite the wrong impression. "

'Nuff Said!

No comments:

Post a Comment